Powder Puff football rivalry joins homecoming activities: Haverford ladies get tough

The+8th+annual+Powder+Puff+game+will+take+place+on+Tuesday%2C+November+25th+following+the+bonfire.+
The 8th annual Powder Puff game will take place on Tuesday, November 25th following the bonfire.

Jack Beck

Despite the hype surrounding the Turkey Bowl on Thanksgiving Day, another rivalry will meet on the football team first. Following the homecoming bonfire, the  junior and senior girls will take on each other in a match for the ages: the 8th annual Haverford Powder Puff Football Game. The game will take place following the bonfire on Tuesday, November 25th.

Powder puff football puts women in the traditionally male-dominated sport where they block, throw spirals, run routes, and catch passes. Junior and senior football players are matched up with the girls’ team of their respective grades and are expected to polish the more raw skills of the already athletic girls.

Senior football player John Kim has been facing a huge challenge with coaching the senior girls.

“Not going to lie they are really hard to coach. I’m excited for the game, hoping we will redeem ourselves from last year. Our practices are helping the girls understand what to do,” said Kim. “Not all of them know the game at the beginning of the practices because not many of them watch football on TV.”

Despite learning the conventional rules and their developing skills, the girls of both grades are enthusiastic about the game. Much of the excitement comes from the fact that the game pits the juniors against the seniors.  Senior player, Sam Liney, is dedicated to redeeming the title for the seniors this year. 

I really want to kick some junior butt this year.”

— Senior, Sam Liney

“I can’t wait for this year’s game. We didn’t so so well last year and I think our team is a lot better this year’s game. As a senior, I really want to kick some junior butt this year,” said Liney.

Haverford students are also looking forward to coming out to see the match-up. Senior, Austin Yayer, will be amongst the fans on the sidelines.

“It’s fun to watch the girls play football when it’s normally a sport played by guns. It’s also a great time to hang out with all the guys and enjoy the game.”

While the game is technically two-hand touch, the overall spirit of the rivalry sometimes leads to extra aggression from both sides.

“I’ve never seen girls get that rough before,” said senior DJ Diakite.

For the first time ever, the powder puff game will also host the senior night for the football team, cheerleaders, and band. Because the football team made it into the playoffs, the final game of the season, originally the senior night, did not take place. Coaches and administration made the decision not to use the Halloween game as senior night because of fears that parents and students with younger siblings would be unable to attend.

The bonfire will start off the night at 6pm on Tuesday night, and the festivities will continue over to A.G. Cornog stadium where the girls will meet under the lights.