Why Should High Schoolers Vote in the 2024 Primary Election?

Though the two major party candidates have been chosen, leading to a rematch in November between President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump, there are still other primary elections that are very important; this Tuesday’s primary election is crucial. Positions in the US House, US Senate, PA House, PA Senate, State Attorney General, State Auditor, and State Treasurer are all up for grabs. All of these play an important role in our national and state government. 

People, especially inexperienced voters, often only pay attention or care about national elections such as the election of the President or a Senator, but the local government actually impacts us more directly than the national government because it addresses more day-to-day issues such as public schools, road conditions, and housing. Voter turnout for these elections tends to be incredibly low, so it is important that you vote, despite the presidential candidates already having been determined. 

In 2000, Presidential candidate Al Gore lost the state of Florida to George W. Bush by 537 votes out of more than 5 million cast. This ultimately gave George W Bush Florida’s 25 electoral votes and the presidency. So to say your vote doesn’t matter is simply wrong. Had 600 more people voted for Al Gore, then there would have been a totally different president in 2000 and the history of the country could be vastly different. 

When this nation was founded, only white men who owned property were permitted the right to vote. The 15th Amendment gave black men the right to vote after the Civil War, the 19th Amendment gave women the right to vote after the suffragette movement, and the 26th Amendment lowered the voting age to 18 in the wake of the Vietnam War.  

Not voting is an insult to all those who fought for that right throughout United States history. Make a plan to vote; it is your civic duty.