4 days to break: NHS gift drive and wrapping

Megha Nagaswami, Editor-in-Chief

The holidays are full of shopping, gifts, and fun for many people. Unfortunately, for many families in our own community, such events are difficult to afford. The National Honor Society does its part every year to aid these families, providing them with not only gifts to place under the tree, but essential supplies as well. To fund the annual Holiday Gift Drive, members of NHS sell Linvilla Orchard pies.Every year, it seems that the number of pies sold grows, and this year was no exception. NHS broke its pie-selling record yet again, selling well over 1300 pies.

The funds raised are used to purchase gifts for the families that NHS helps- over 30 this year, according to senior officer Rebecca Houston. Additional funds were raised by homerooms, who donated change and cash. Local businesses made donations in the form of money and gifts.

Members of NHS assist in shopping for items for each family, and on December 18th, they worked in shifts to carefully wrap all of the gifts. Students worked in two-hour shifts, starting from 2:30pm, with some ending at 10:30. Many teachers even joined, assisting in wrapping and organizing. Says senior Marissa Donohue, “I’ve been trying hard to make all the edges perfect so they’re great for under the tree. It’s really nice to be able to do this for families in need, in our community.” There were many different types of gifts, from blankets to toys, school supplies, and clothes.

Ms. Jackson, who is one of the sponsors of NHS, was proud of the teachers’ and students’ combined efforts, which benefited 105 children and teenagers in total. “We wouldn’t be able to do it if we didn’t have teachers who were willing to donate, students to contribute, and organizations to do the same. On behalf of the National Honor Society, we would like to thank the entire community for what they helped us do tonight”.

[slideshow_deploy id=’1272′]