Boy’s tennis wraps busy week with wins at Ridley, Penncrest

This past week, April 7 to April 11, the boy’s tennis team contended with three consecutive Central League opponents away from home while finishing their pre-Spring Break schedule hosting a Philadelphia Catholic League challenger.

On Tuesday, the team traveled to Penncrest High School on a sunny, yet very windy, afternoon. Nate Frank and Jonathan Abraham captured singles wins, while the pairing of Dharman Anandarajan and Luke DeWerth-Jaffe seized a lone doubles win. Haverford fell just short of a team victory overall.

The team ventured out again to play a match at Ridley High School on Wednesday the 9th, but the unfamiliar environment proved ineffectual in halting Haverford’s success. Haverford dominated in a thorough 7-0 victory over an improved Ridley team.

The boys took to the buses for the third time in as many days on Thursday to face annual powerhouse Conestoga High School. The team struggled to manufacture scoreboard pressure, with the exception of a brilliant effort by doubles partners Luke DeWerth-Jaffe and Jack McGovern, who were able to secure four games in a close second set to end the day.

On Friday, Haverford culminated the week with an out-of-league foe, Roman Catholic High School. Close matches and exciting points dotted each of the five courts, with Haverford’s smaller lineup for the day, due to an accumulation of scheduling issues, ultimately finding themselves on the losing side.

As for last week’s Central League Singles Championships – congratulations to first singles player Nate Frank, who finished in third place.

Haverford faced Harriton High School upon return from Spring Break on April 22.