WHHS hosts successful End of Semester coffeehouse

Students and alumni gathered and mingled in the basement of the Haverford Township Free Library as General Manager of WHHS, Emily Yacina, welcomed those who braved the weather to the radio station’s (unofficially titled) End of Semester coffeehouse. After an extremely popular acoustic show last month, the Director Board curated an electric (in the literal and figurative sense) show to an approving audience.

As usual, WHHS sold goodies such as pizza, cookies, and soda, along with a new addition- freshly-popped popcorn. The student-run organization also had t-shirts, frisbees and pens for sale and giveaway.

Keyboardist Jon Caywood kicked things off with his expressive and fully-instrumental songs. He played a short, albeit impressive, set to a rapt audience, highlighted by the lighting rig set up by the WHHS tech crew.

Ben Mahan and Tim Harper got the crowd moving with their tight rhythms and upbeat songs. The duo kept it simple with electric guitar and drums, with Harper anchoring the beat for their 30-minute set.  The two have close Haverford ties, as Mahan is a graduate of the Class of 2009 and Harper is a senior at HHS this year, and serves as one of the two music directors for WHHS.

Brandon Ayres and Josh Phillips, better known as Rasputin’s Secret Police, closed the night with a show that delivered on musicality, showmanship, and humor. The Drexel Hill natives were promoting their newest effort “Then” as well as their Josh and Brandon/Roy Orbitron split vinyl EP on sale at last Friday’s show.

Keep a close watch on WHHS’ Twitter and Facebook pages for news on upcoming events, programs and broadcasting.