Hang Onto Your Nuggets! It’s Your New Favorite Thanksgiving Movie

Free Birds is a 2013 animated movie directed by James Hayward. The movie stars Owen Wilson as Reggie, a presidentially pardoned turkey who gets roped into a time-traveling adventure, and Woody Harrelson as Jake, an unlucky turkey who is destined to be eaten. Jake recruits Reggie on a mission back in time to stop the original Thanksgiving feast and save the turkeys. The two must learn to work together to prevent this turkey tragedy from ever taking place.

What sets Free Birds apart from its otherwise mediocre qualities is Jimmy Hayward’s impeccable casting. Owen Wilson delivers an enjoyable and comedic performance as Reggie. Reggie is a very laid-back and chill turkey, and Owen Wilson perfectly encapsulates that in his voice acting. Woody Harrelson as Jake, a turkey freedom fighter, is also a decent cast pick. While not my favorite casting, he plays the lovable buffoon Jake very well. The rest of the supporting cast gives decent performances that will not upset you, but you will not be deeply moved by a single character’s words.

The animation of the movie is also painfully simple. The most visually impressive pieces of animation are the bunker containing the time machine and the model the animators created for Charles Standish. While Standish loses his compelling and feared presence as the movie progresses, the model the animators made for him is still menacing and frightening. For a movie supposed to be set in the fall, the autumn forests and landscape of 1621 America are rather bland and lacking in color.

If I had to choose one aspect of this film that was perfectly average in every way, it would be the plot. The story of this movie is incredibly ridiculous but in a way that is at best moderately endearing and at worst just kind of general. The pacing of the movie is also way too quick, and by the 10-minute mark, we’ve already met both of our main characters. The movie also loses a bit of its clever humor once the turkey duo arrives at the First Thanksgiving.

I enjoyed Free Birds, if nothing else for its ridiculous premise and humorous casting. It’s enjoyable if anybody is in the market for a new Thanksgiving movie to try this season. Despite my critiques, Free Birds has my vote.

View Comments (2)