Boys’ Basketball Unable to Exact Revenge Against Radnor


Pete Bannan

Senior Nick Colucci holds his own against the Raptors.

Mason Baylis, Sports Editor

Share Button

The last time the Haverford boys basketball team faced Radnor, first place in the Central League was on the line. At stake this time … was a trip to the Central League Championship. 

In their previous meeting this season, the Raptors came out victorious, winning 43-40. Yet that game was nearly a month ago. Heading into the rematch, both teams looked to demonstrate that they were a better and tougher opponent than before. The Fords were hoping to cap off their best week of the season after victories against Lower Merion and Penncrest propelled them to the matchup at Radnor High School. For the Raptors, their four-game win streak put them on a direct path against Haverford, in a battle for which team would keep its momentum. 

The 2nd seeded Raptors and the 3rd seeded Fords rolled out the same lineups they had displayed in the first matchup. Haverford Senior J.R. Newman won the tip-off for the Fords, and the offensive showcase for both teams began. The teams went shot for shot, as neither Haverford nor Radnor could stop each other from putting the ball into the basket. At the end of the first quarter, with only 12 seconds left, a deep three by Raptor’s Junior Jonathan Hicke gave his team a 20-17 advantage. Hicke, who played the role of silencer throughout the game, picked up from his previous encounter with the Fords where he knocked crucial free throws at the end of the game to keep Radnor ahead. 

Reminiscent of Haverford’s victory over Lower Merion, the Fords were able to keep themselves afloat, and then eventually strike after Senior Colin Reynolds made a daring dive onto the ball. Off of the turnover, Senior Nick Colucci baffled Raptors defenders with a quick burst of speed and finger roll basket, giving the Fords the lead, 23-22 with 4:17 remaining in the half. Yet Radnor was not in the business of letting the Fords get away. Hicke scored 5 straight points for the Raptors on identical coast-to-coast baskets, putting Radnor up 31-23 at halftime. 

Starting the third quarter the Fords needed points or at least a way to limit the Raptors offense. Unfortunately, they weren’t able to find it. Radnor kept their offensive juggernaut going, as Hicke once again dragged the Fords to their inevitable reality.  After a basket with 3:55 remaining in the quarter, the Raptor’s lead grew to 40-25. At the end of the quarter, Nick Colucci scored a quick basket, and on the ensuing inbounds pass, Colin Reynolds stole the ball and rushed in for the score. The Fords trailed by 11 entering the fourth quarter, but they hoped that the late second points from the previous quarter would give them the jump they needed.

Yet once again the hopes of the Fords would be hampered; as the fourth quarter started, their offense didn’t. Haverford didn’t record their first points until 2:41 remained in the game after Colucci knocked down two free throws. Radnor, not slowing down for the Fords, continued scoring, as they kept Haverford at bay. Colucci, attempting to single-handedly reach Haverford’s goal of recapturing the Central League title, scored the only Haverford points of the quarter, totaling six. Radnor built back their 15 point lead to win the game 53-38. 

Although one goal will go unchecked for Haverford, their season still has a lot to be proud of. The Fords are ranked 5th in PIAA District 1 6A, one of the highest rankings in school history. This will give the Fords a home district playoff game on February 22nd.

Share Button