Girl’s Basketball Team Making the Most of 2021 Season

Pete Bannan

Sophomore Caroline Dotsey pushes forward in a game against Garnet Valley.

With the bold heat of the sun reflecting off the neon rim, senior captain Chiara MacGillivray swished the basketball through the net at Elwell Field. She and her teammates sprinted back on defense, making sure to guard both the ball and the basket. Sweating and smiling, the girls battled each other on the concrete courts multiple times a week in preparation for their season.

Yet the girls did not officially take the hardwood until January. COVID-19 pushed their season back, finally settling on a 13 game season plus Central League and District playoffs. Despite the challenges of wearing masks, social distancing on the bench and in the locker room, and having limited fans, the Haverford Girls Basketball team has grown together on their home court. 

Ever since their pickup games in the summer, they made a conscious effort to have fun playing the sport that they love while pushing each other to become better. “As a team we continue to encourage each other and bring a positive attitude everyday. Our team is full of talent, passion, and determination; I’m excited for what the season brings,” says senior captain Hannah Clancy.

Coach Lauren Pellicane’s team started out their season with a loss to Marple-Newtown, but have bounced back to a 3-2 record, defeating Garnet Valley, Lower Merion, and Conestoga, and barely falling to Springfield on a buzzer beater. Though they are still working on polishing their play, their hard work remains consistent. 

The Fords only lost one senior last year but they are joined by three new faces- junior Maura Dougherty, sophomore Sky Newman, and freshman Aniya Eberhart. 

Second Team All-Central League sophomore Caroline Dotsey continues to be a powerful offensive weapon. She scored a season-high 17 points vs. Lower Merion. The Fords dominate in the post with Dotsey, sophomore Mollie Carpenter, and senior Hannah Clancy.

Seniors Ava Crawford, Addison Brodnick, Hannah Clancy and Chiara MacGillivray were honored in a pregame ceremony on January 26th. The families of the seniors were permitted to attend the game versus Lower Merion, which, coupled with a win, made the night memorable for the graduating players. 

Caroline Dotsey is extremely grateful to be able to play this season. “I’m so glad we had the opportunity to play this year, especially under these circumstances. We’ve really connected as a team on and off the court and I can’t wait to see how we grow as the season continues! Go Fords!”

All home sports games are live-streamed on the Haverford High School Athletics YouTube channel.