Countdown to Winter Break: 3 Ways to Spread Holiday Cheer

Sophia Carr, Contributor

1. Volunteering

It is easy to overlook the importance of volunteerism, especially in this day and age where technology replaces human interactions frequently.  Particularly during the holiday season, it becomes more common for us to show our love and appreciation for those around us, including our family and friends, by spending time with them.  While our family and friends are important, other members of our community that may not have much family or many friends around should not be forgotten. By choosing to volunteer, whether it would be at a local nursing home or hospital, you can provide these members with company during a time where being alone is more difficult to manage.  Also, if you’re musically inclined, or have any other talents that you are comfortable with sharing with others, you will find great joy in sharing them with those in your community.

2. Spreading Kindness

At this time of year, many companies are wrapping up final projects, teachers are scrambling to grade assignments, and students are cramming for their last minute tests all in preparation for the end of the year.  In this stressful time, an act of kindness could really go a long way. Giving donations to organizations that strive to help those in need, whether it would be donating some cash to the Gift Drive at our very own Haverford High, or finally delivering that bag of clothes that’s been in your room forever to Goodwill, these gifts mean the world to families on the receiving end.  But if you’re finding yourself scrambling to set aside extra cash to donate, fret not; for the good thing about spreading kindness is that it can be completely free. Perhaps, you can smile at the stranger passing you in the hallway or offer to carry someone’s bags to their car at the grocery store. After all, everyone is fighting a battle you don’t know about, and these small acts of kindness can be very impactful!

3. Host a Get-Together

What better way to spread holiday cheer than hosting a get together?  Whether you just invite a few of your closest friends or your entire class plus your family, this is a sure way to get everyone amped up for the holiday season.  Be sure to provide lots of fun and festive food and drinks, and put on a holiday movie or sing along to some holiday music. When surrounded with good friends and food, you’ll be sure to make some unforgettable memories and liven everyone’s spirits!