COUNTDOWN TO WINTER BREAK: Holiday Gift Guide

Cassidy Milewski, Contributor

On the 12th day before Winter Break, The Fordian gives to you, an all-purpose holiday gift guide for your last-minute shopping sprees for everyone on your list.

Parents: While they can be tough to buy for, most kids will be spending the most money on their parents. However, when they are asked what they want this holiday season, they would rather you not spend your money on them. Sound familiar? So, here are a few ideas your parents and guardians will adore this year.

• Mom: There is nothing mothers love more than to spend time with their children, so invest your money into a new adventure for them.
    • For girls, your mom might enjoy a relaxing afternoon at the nail salon after a hard week at work. Luckily for you, Havertown is surrounded by great options. You can choose between, Posh Salon, Fiji Nails, and Cozy Nails and Spa
    • For boys, she would love a nice dinner out to her favorite restaurant with only you. Try one of Havertown’s options with Edgewood Cafe, Brick and Brew, or Pepperoncini
    • If you’re shooting for something they can unwrap on Christmas morning, listen up for things they might need throughout the year.
    • If all else fails, accessories for their jobs often make great gifts. Check out the calendar maker on Shutterfly to personalize their desks with pictures of the family, or peruse the stationary options from Vera Bradley. This is a great option if you are looking for a more inexpensive gift, as all full price purchases receive 30% off at checkout.
  • Dad: An adventure gift would work well for fathers, too! Is your dad a die hard fan of a particular sports team? If so, grab two tickets to an upcoming game that you can go to together. This is a thoughtful gift that your dad will remember forever. For those who are looking for something a bit less expensive in the sports realm, your father might love some new apparel from his favorite team; a new jersey or t-shirt would be a total hit.

Siblings: Depending on the age, siblings can be a bit challenging to find a gift for that your parents haven’t already purchased them this year. Be sure to ask your parents what they didn’t get from your sibling(s) wish list and choose off of that.

• Sister: If all else fails, girls will always love a gift card to their favorite boutique. While it may not seem like a personalized gift, your sisters would definitely rather pick something out themselves.
  • For sporty brothers, a Nike gift card would certainly be a safe bet; that way, your brother can choose a pair of shoes that he loves.

Ultimately, gift cards are great for siblings as they allow your loved ones to pick something they genuinely want.

Friends: If you’re like me, you neglect to spend too much time on friend gifts because you have a wide variety to pick out. So, baked goods never fail to be well received among peers; bake a few batches of your Grandma’s famous chocolate chip cookies and wrap them in decorative cellophane bags with a note tied onto them. It’s an easy, inexpensive way to make all your friends happy.

Now, here are a few present-giving tips for those who are still stumped.

While you may think gift cards aren’t exactly considered thoughtful, you can make them a gift your friends and family will truly appreciate by including a little blurb about why you chose it for them. For example:

• You’re always saying you want to get boots at Anthropologie; here’s a gift card to help you get them!
  • I know how much you loved that spa treatment you got last summer, so here’s a spa gift card to treat yourself again.
  • You’ve been saying you’ve been running more but you really need new running shoes. Here’s a gift card to Nike so you can get some.

Make it personal by recalling things they like, want, or need! This lets them know that you put thought into your gift. It’s the little things.

Buying gifts is actually not as difficult as we can make it out to be. Buying the perfect gift can seem daunting and stressful. Instead of thinking about buying them the “perfect gift,” think about what they do on a regular basis. Do they love go to the gym? Are they into photography? When you think of them, what comes to mind? Ask yourselves these types of questions to help steer you in the right direction for finding them a gift they will adore– not because it’s perfect, but because it’s perfectly thoughtful.

To me, the greatest gift of all is feeling content with the privilege I’ve been provided and I’m sure the same goes for your loved ones. So, remember that it is the thought of your gift that counts.

Get to shopping, Fords!