Dodgeball Tournament a Hit as Vipers Take Down Dodge Fathers For First Place

The 2014 Dodgeball Champs, The Vipers, bite the gold after their victory over the Dodge Fathers. The Vipers team includes: Drew Fowler, Luke Marmer,  Jack Halowell, Alex Ramos, Matt McKeon, Chris Trainor, Dylan Rezznick, and Corey Hunt.

The 2014 Dodgeball Champs, The Vipers, bite the gold after their victory over the Dodge Fathers. The Vipers team includes: Drew Fowler, Luke Marmer, Jack Halowell, Alex Ramos, Matt McKeon, Chris Trainor, Dylan Rezznick, and Corey Hunt.

Kelly Burke

Kelly Burke

Jake Hartline, Editor

To wrap up the 2014 school year before the winter break, Haverford High School held their annual dodgeball tournament during 4th block on Tuesday, December 23rd.

The tournament is held in the Haverford gymnasium and students and teachers are encouraged to form teams to participate. These teams are entered into a 16 team bracket and play against each other as the rest of the school cheers them on from the bleachers. In addition to coming up with their own team names, the teams are part of different groups and classes. Most teams even make their own uniforms to fit the part. Some of the teams included: Haverford Baseball team, Haverford Wrestling team, Boys Cross Country team, BC Calculus, AP European History, and teachers of the science department.

Besides regular dodgeball rules, there are some exceptions. Each game lasts 3 minutes and two games are played at once as the basketball court on the gym floor is divided in half. One team must eliminate the other or have more remaining players on the floor than the other before the 3 minutes are up. If both teams have the same amount of players on the floor when time expires, the game goes into a 1 minute sudden death. Winner advances to the next round and the loser enters into the consolation bracket. Once the final two teams remain, the championship game ensues in a full court game.

This year, the Vipers took home the prize after defeating the Dodge Fathers in the finals. Good sportsmanship and fantastic competition was seen throughout. Overall, the game was a fun event for both players and spectators. As another dodgeball tournament at Haverford has come and gone, another winter break approaches.

Photos By: Kelly Burke