Bi-Annual Blood Drive Succeeds In Saving Hundreds of Lives

On October 19, 2017, Haverford High School hosted its fall-annual blood drive to support the Red Cross. Throughout the day, many Haverford students participated in not only giving blood, but volunteering for the blood drive, which was set up, and run, by the members of Haverford’s Student Student.

The volunteers at the blood drive ran the drive in two groups: those who are inside the gym running the blood drive, and those outside getting people signed up. The inside volunteer’s job is to talk to to the donors while they are giving blood, to make sure that they are feeling fine.

The outside volunteers worked on welcoming the volunteers and getting them adjusted to the environment of the blood drive. Volunteers used their very valuable time to help others which just shows the loving, giving, and inspiring environment, which is the epitome of Haverford High School.

Many volunteers expressed how great it was to be volunteering, and meet so many people that they never knew. Helen Dunleavy, a freshman, expressed her delight about her experience with the representatives from the American Red Cross saying, “The people drawing the blood were really nice.”

The blood drive itself is split up into five parts. First, donors check in with their I.D. outside of the gym. Then participants go read the assigned reading for the blood drive, after which they go to medical checkup. If they pass all of the tests and questions, they move on to actually give blood, where each person donates about a pint of blood. Finally they head to the Hydration Station where the donors rest up, drink, and eat for about 15 to 17 minutes before they go back to class.

To put in perspective the importance of the blood drive, one donation of blood saves three lives. Which is why it is so important for students and teachers to help out because so many people depend on these donations to save not only their lives, but the lives of their family. Grace Shoemaker, another freshman volunteer, expressed similar thoughts when discussing her experience saying, “The coolest part was reminding people that they are saving three lives.”

The annual blood drive is crucial to the American Red Cross, because they always need a steady supply of blood because they respond to a crisis every eight minutes, and it allows for Haverford to connect to the outside world in a positive way.  Overall, the annual Haverford blood drive was a wonderful event for a great cause, and Student Senate hopes to see many more Haverford students back in the spring.