COUNTDOWN TO WINTER BREAK: 6 Charities to Give to This Holiday Season

Cassidy Milewski, Contributor

1. World Vision

World Vision is a program that allows people to sponsor underprivileged children throughout the year. By sponsoring a child, anyone who donates gets to follow their journey personally by receiving letters, pictures, and updates from them on a consistent basis in exchange for money that provides them health care, clean water, education, and food. They also advocate for gender equality, disability inclusion, disaster response, and agricultural development in areas which need it most. You can make donations to the charity as a whole or sponsor a child in need on World Vision’s website

1. Career Wardrobe

Created here in the city of brotherly love, Career Wardrobe aims to provide job preparation, affordable clothing, and work opportunities to women in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties. Haverford’s chapter of the National Business Honor Society is sponsoring a clothing drive for the organization throughout this holiday season and will be collecting any gently worn, business-like items to donate to Career Wardrobe in the coming months. With any questions, contact the National Business Honor Society’s Community Service Liaison, Cassidy Alexander, for more information on how you can get involved.

1. Stand Up To Cancer

As an organization that funds cancer research facilities and implements strategies to get patients treatment faster, Stand Up To Cancer is a wonderful charity to support this holiday season. They offer an online shop where you can purchase apparel and take monetary donations directly on their website. One of Haverford’s newer clubs, Fords For A Cure, is partnered with Stand Up To Cancer and will be holding a workshop to make holiday cards for cancer patients after school on Tuesday, December 20th. If you can’t make a monetary donation and still would like to make a difference, you can stop by and make a card in room 217. Everyone is welcome!

1. Animal Welfare Institute

Animal Welfare Institute was founded in 1951 with the belief that our furry friends deserve the same amount of care as we, as humans, do. The organization actively speaks out for animals being used for experimentation. The Animal Welfare Institute takes monetary donations only and would love your support.

1. Wounded Warrior Project

Aiming to meet the needs of soldiers who were injured during their time in the armed services, Wounded Warrior Project would be honored to receive donations this holiday season. On their website you can make a monetary donation, sign up to host a fundraiser in your community, or partner your school with the organization. Past and present members of our armed services benefit greatly from the Wounded Warrior Project’s work and would be grateful for your time. Additionally, if you buy a few specific products from their sponsors, Wounded Warrior Project will receive a portion of money from the purchase. 

1. American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention raises awareness, funds scientific research and provides resources and aid to those affected by suicide. The foundation provides many opportunities to get involved; among them are donations (both in general and in memory of a loved one), campaign ideas, and involvement in their famous “Out of the Darkness” walks. If suicide prevention is an issue you’re passionate about, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is an honorable charity to donate your time and money to this holiday season. 

The holidays are often referred to as “the season of giving,” but we frequently find that the giving spirit dies out after the new year. Haverfordians, we encourage you not only to give back throughout the next few weeks, but all year long. Your contributions never have to be monetary or even terribly significant, but some kind words, a small gift, or a sweet gesture are small things that go far distances. So, even if you don’t choose to donate to the aforementioned charities, we hope this article serves as a reminder to give back to your friends, family, loved ones, and community through 2017. Let’s make an impact, Fords!