Seniors pull annual prank with beachy luau

June 1, 2015

On Monday, the 1st of June, the senior class had big plans. It was the day of the Senior Prank. Students of the graduating class showed up to school in their Hawaiian and Beach themed outfits and were ready to get out of class. At exactly 11:15 AM a peculiar announcement came on the loudspeaker, the distinct voice of Jake Savitz ordered everyone in the class of 2015 to head out to the back field for a senior Luau.

Beach ready seniors ran through the halls to the tune of Wipeout; students stuck inside were glued to the windows of their classrooms trying to get a glimpse of what it’s like to be a senior, and teachers just had to sit there and accept the fact that they had been pranked.

Luckily, a member of the class of 2016 and contributor to The Fordian caught wind of this prank a few days prior. This incognito correspondent fit the beach theme of the Luau and despite the hefty Nikon camera, he was able to blend right in and take pictures of all the beachy fun that would ensue out on the field.

The Luau was set with beach music from the WHHS tent, some beach chairs,and tiki lamp decorations. Seniors enjoyed some frisbee, CanJam, a water balloon toss, a water balloon slingshot, fruity drinks, and some hot dogs served on hamburger buns by future culinary student, Sam O’Fria.

There may have been some controversy on whether or not this truly was a ‘prank’ but why should it matter? To some schools, the idea of a senior prank is nonexistent and even though it isn’t ideal for a ‘prank’ to be approved by administration, students should enjoy this last hurrah before they graduate. Maybe it isn’t a prank but it isn’t a bad tradition, and the seniors who planned this are not “field mice in a game of eagles” they are simply students who want to have fun within the rules.

Despite the controversy, the seniors made the most out of what they were given for their prank. And those graduating seniors who were too cool for the event definitely missed out. Like any other Haverford class, the seniors will be missed, but the class of 2015 left their mark on their school and exemplified it today. Although it would’ve been nice to have some ‘fun in the sun’, the seniors turned a rainy day into a perfect day on the beach.