10 Things You Need to Know Today: Wednesday, December 21st

Will Hulcher, Contributor

1. Winter Concert Homeroom Concerts Begin Today.  

The orchestra, chorus and band demonstrate all the hard work they have been putting into their music since the start of the school year. The 9th and 10th graders will attend today during the 46-minute homeroom and the 11th and 12th graders will follow tomorrow.

2.Youtube Star Accuses Delta of Kicking Him Off Airplane for Speaking Arabic.

Youtuber, Adam Saleh, who previously faked sneaking into a Tigerair airplane in a suitcase, accused Delta airlines of kicking him off for speaking in Arabic to his mother. Delta has now released a statement explaining that Saleh was actually removed for attempting to “disrupt the cabin with provocative behavior, including shouting.” 

3. Senior Quote and Survey Due Friday.

Attention Seniors! Senior quotes, survey, who’s who, are all due by the end of school on Friday. Check your Google Drive e-mail to access the link.  

4. Islamic State Claims Responsibility for Berlin Truck Assault.

The driver of the truck that plowed into a market in Berlin that killed 12 and injured 48 was said to be a soldier of the Islamic State. The original suspect was released, and now authorities are looking into Tunisian suspect, Anis Amri

5. Today is the First Day of Winter. 

The winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, takes place today. The actual solstice marks the moment when the sun shines at its most southern point, directly over the Tropic of Capricorn. That took place at 5:44 AM this morning. The days will now begin to get longer.

6. National Business Honor Society Collecting Clothing for Career Wardrobe. 

The NBHS is holding a clothing drive to support their service project for the year, Career Wardrobe. The organization supports women and men transitioning to the professional world by helping them build a wardrobe for the working world.

7. 35 Killed in Mexico Fireworks Explosion.

A market in Tultepec, Mexico erupted in explosions yesterday. The San Pablito market was full of people buying fireworks for the holidays when the blasts went off. The town bills itself as Mexico’s fireworks capital.

8. Today is Humbug Day.  

According to wellcat.com, the creators of this day, Humbug day allows “everyone preparing for Christmas to vent their frustrations.”

9. Walmart to Stop Selling Black Lives Matter Item. 

After the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) asked Walmart in a letter to remove the specific item that says “bulletproof,” Walmart stopped selling the shirts. They offer the product in a marketplace from third parties that include Blue Lives Matter, Black Lives Matter, and All Lives Matter. There are still other Black Lives Matter shirts listed, but the shirt’s maker, Old Glory Merchandise, actually chose to pull the specific item.

10. There are 2 days of school left before Winter Break. 

With just two school days until winter break, Haverford students are gearing up to celebrate in the holiday spirit. To get the community excited, The Fordian is covering the 12 Day Countdown to break with a new article every school day; be sure to check them out!